Artist Participation Information
Thank you for your interest in the 2018 Scottsdale Arts Festival; the artist application is now closed.
Festival Dates – March 9-11, 2018
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts and Scottsdale Civic Center
7380 E. Second St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Images: 5 (one booth photo is required)
Application Fee: $35
In a community renowned for its devotion to the arts, Scottsdale has one arts festival that rises above them all. Now in its 48th year, the Scottsdale Arts Festival, held every March during the height of the city’s tourist season, has established a reputation as the premier arts festival in the Southwest. It has been named “Best Arts Festival” by Phoenix New Times and one of Art Fair SourceBook’s “‘Elite 20’ Fine Art Fairs.”
The Scottsdale Arts Festival showcases 170 jury-selected artists from throughout the United States and Canada, live music on two stages, gourmet food trucks, wine tastings, creative activities for families and children, an online benefit art auction with original works of art donated by Festival artists (donations optional), free admission to the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) and more. The Festival takes place at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts and surrounding grounds of the Scottsdale Civic Center, a beautifully landscaped, 21-acre urban park, a short walk from Scottsdale’s Old Town and gallery districts. Arizona’s glorious spring weather complements the Festival’s park-like setting, creating a unique experience that attracts up to 25,000 seasonal and year-round residents and tourists in the metropolitan Phoenix area.
The Scottsdale Arts Festival is produced by the nonprofit Scottsdale Arts, which manages Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art and Scottsdale Public Art.
Up to 170 artists will exhibit in the 2018 Scottsdale Arts Festival, including the 14 invited 2017 Festival award winners.
· The jury views projected images on a 12-foot screen using state-of-the-art projectors and images direct from the digital files submitted by the artists.
· The jury is comprised of three arts professionals – working artists, curators, collectors and gallerists.
· The criteria for selection are excellence in concept, quality, workmanship and aesthetics.
· The jury assigns points from 1 to 7 (with 4 excluded) to each five-image presentation; points are totaled and those artists with the highest total in each category are selected to exhibit.
· A wait list of juried artists is maintained for each category.
An onsite panel of judges selects one “Best of Show” artist to receive a $1,000 award, acceptance to the 2019 show and a complimentary booth space. Additional merit awards are given to one artist in each category and these artists are invited to the 2019 Festival with their application fee waived.
Ceramics: Original functional and non-functional works created from clay, porcelain, stoneware or earthenware. Factory-produced work is not permitted.
Digital Art: Any original work for which the original image, or the manipulation of other source material, was executed by the artist using a computer. Work in this category must be in limited editions, signed and numbered. Photographs taken created using a digital camera should apply in the photography category.
Drawing: Works that are drawn by hand incorporating ink, charcoal, pastel, pencil, etc.
Fiber: Works created from fibers, including basketry, weaving, papermaking, leather and fine wearables. Factory-produced wearables are not permitted.
Glass: Mass- or factory-produced work is not permitted. Glass jewelry must be submitted in the jewelry category.
Jewelry: All work that is jewelry must be entered in this category regardless of the materials used. All work must be handcrafted by the artist; no factory production is permitted.
Metal: Functional and non-sculptural works incorporating metal. Jewelry incorporating metal must apply in the jewelry category.
Mixed Media: Works, both 2-D and 3-D, that incorporate more than one type of physical material to produce. Includes non-sculptural work as determined by the artist.
Painting: Works incorporating oil, acrylic, watercolor, etc.
Photography: Photographs made from the artist’s original image and printed either by the artist or under his or her direction are permitted. The photographic process must be displayed, and each edition must be signed and numbered. Photographs printed on canvas are considered reproductions, and must be marked as such while on display.
Printmaking: Hand-pulled original works from a block, plate, stone or other object. Prints must be signed and numbered as limited editions.
Sculpture: Three-dimensional works incorporating any material that is carved, modeled, constructed or cast.
Wood: Works incorporating wood as the primary material.
** The Scottsdale Arts Festival is not accepting applications at this time from vendors selling artisan goods and handcrafted merchandise such as food items, soaps, lotions, candles, etc.**
The Scottsdale Arts Festival values artists and strives to make their exhibiting experience as enjoyable as possible. Services include:
· Complimentary continental breakfast, lunch and snacks provided in an indoor artist hospitality suite.
· Roving booth sitters and runners.
· Complimentary Festival passes for returning buyers.
· Discounted hotel rates.
· Images of each artist’s work on the Scottsdale Arts Festival website.
· Complimentary admission to Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art.
· Overnight roving security. (However, no responsibility is assumed by the Scottsdale Arts Festival for the loss of exhibitors’ artwork or equipment.)
Marketing and Promotion
Each year, Scottsdale Arts develops and executes a comprehensive marketing plan for the Festival, which is designed to reach a broad range of visitors and residents interested in the arts, and to maximize sales for participating artists. The plan features strategic advertising across a range of media, including direct mail, print, broadcast and online outlets, as well as public-relations and social-media campaigns. Artists are also encouraged to promote their participation in the Scottsdale Arts Festival through their own online and social channels.
· Applicants’ work must be of original design and personal execution.
· Images must accurately represent the artist’s work that will be exhibited. Artists must be present during the entire three-day festival. Representatives may not attend in place of the artist. Commercial agents, dealers or manufacturers are not eligible.
· Collaborating artists may apply to participate, but only joint work may be shown and sold. Otherwise, each artist must apply for their own/separate space. Names of collaborating artists must appear on all application materials. If artists apply as collaborating artists, each artist must be on site for the Festival. Only the work of the contracted artist may be displayed and sold.
· The work must be representative of the images selected through the jury process. No kits or works that are produced from commercial plans will be accepted. No posters, postcards, note cards or promotional products.
· One image must be of the booth display; entries will not be considered without a booth image. The booth image is used to judge overall appearance, professionalism, consistency of work and will assist in the determination of booth placement in the most advantageous location. Please submit an outdoor booth image that does not contain people or artist identification. Artwork images may not contain signatures that will identify the artist.
· For jewelry and other small items, a single image may consist of groupings of up to three pieces.
· Images by invited artists may be used by the Scottsdale Arts Festival for marketing, publicity and onsite judging.
· Signed and numbered limited edition reproductions of artworks are allowed. Artists must disclose limited edition process on prints. Editions cannot exceed 150 prints. Original art must occupy more than 80 percent of the booth.
· Artists may submit applications in multiple categories. A separate application and fee are required for each category entered.
· Participating artists are responsible for ensuring that their artwork on display is in compliance with state and federal laws regarding the sale of Indian arts and crafts. For information regarding Arizona law, please refer to Title 44, Chapter 9, Article 2.1, Statutes 44-1231 – 44-1231.05 (Fraudulent Practices in the Sale of Indian Arts and Crafts) located at http://www.azleg.gov/arsDetail/?title=44.
· Pets are not allowed with the exception of trained service animals.
· The application fee is $35 per entry. Fees are non-refundable if your application does not meet the rules and regulations listed.
· The participation fee for a 10’ x 10’ space is $475 and a double space (larger than 120 sq. ft. with maximum 200 square ft.) is $950. There are a limited number of double booths. Corner and open-air spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
· Exhibitors may use their own tents and tables, or rent tents, tables and chairs from the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
· Space assignments are made based upon booth images, exhibit flow and artists’ requirements. The use of a location is restricted to the artist to whom it is assigned.
· Booth and rental fees are paid directly to the Scottsdale Arts Festival via credit card and check.
· Juried artists, sponsors and food vendors are the only booths permitted at the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
October 9, 2017 – Application deadline
November 17, 2017 – Notification of jury results
December 1, 2017 – Participation fees due
January 5, 2018 – Cancellation deadline to receive one-half of the prepaid participation fee with an additional $30 administrative fee.
March 8, 2018 – Registration and load-in begins at 1 p.m.
The Scottsdale Cultural Council (DBA Scottsdale Arts), a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, administers the arts and cultural affairs of the City of Scottsdale, Arizona, and manages Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA), Scottsdale Public Art and the Scottsdale Arts Festival.
Click to download Artist Participation Information